Tuesday, September 2, 2014

More Drama & Unnecessary Trauma

We're into week two of classes here. My methods class is starting off oddly, predictably. Last week they had a library orientation and home work assignment. I collected the assignments today amid complaints that the library guy hadn't given them the answers to the the worksheet. You have to do something. How are we supposed to find recent dissertations? ProQuest? Didn't he show you PQ? Oh, he did. Ahhh. How are we supposed to know who the supervisors of dissertations were? umm, you check the sign-off page? And on and on and on...

The BS on The Mess just continues. Wrinkles and crap abounds. Complications upon complications. All mostly unnecessary. Some posturing - lots of saber-rattling.  Me? I'm telling students I can't advise them. To go see the others in the department, or the acting chair. Had a meeting today to try and clarify some stuff - what I discovered was that the Deans have no clue what the sanctions imposed last June mean. I can counsel, but not advise. I can deal with students in general, but not majors or minors, or students thinking about majoring or minoring. Clear as mud.

Spent the holiday weekend in Portland OR. Which, to my pleasure, turns out to be a very nice place. A huge difference in weather, as here it's very hot - it was in the 60s and 70s up there! Lush and green, funky and kind people, Powell's, great food, interesting waterfront. Drove down to Newport, nearly due west of Corvallis, for this:




Lovely beaches. Who knew??

No comments:

Post a Comment