Sunday, August 17, 2014

Counting Down

Uni Stuff, again. Because I am still freaked about starting term. I did finally found out what classes I'm teaching. Just two, because The System screwed up and waited too long to do what needed to be done. Now they are asking me how to resolve the problem of too few classes this term. On one hand, it's nice that they are not dictating to me, that they are seeking my input and preferences. On the other hand, it's a mess of their making. Which sounds and is petty of me.

So now it's me, trying to figure out how I can make up the classes cancelled. They've agreed to count the night class, usually compensated at adjunct rate, as one of my three. Methods is another. So I"m one class short this term.

My options are not enviable.
1: I can do an extra class in the spring term. That would be 5 classes, vs the four planned. They wouldn't all make, which would only compound the problem.
2: I can do the Southeast Asian gig next summer or over Xmas. Not a chance in hell. That would cost me money AND time AND body wear/tear.
3: I can teach a summer class next year. Which would completely screw up my current plans, and there's a very good chance that that class wouldn't make either.
4: I can teach for the adult degree completion program. Down sides: those are evening classes, 8 weeks, one night a week. When I've done those in the past, the short turn-around was hard. I really don't care to do hard for this place. Not anymore. Up side: the class will make, thus solving the problem. And I can probably create a class that the program would accept, so the material would be less than painful.

As you've no doubt noticed, I'm leaning towards #4. I see problems - I'm really good at anticipating problems, working out various scenarios. Particularly when I've been working around these kinds of issues for the past 12 years. The problems are that the department isn't going to be able to justify our 4th member after this year. Having too many faculty isn't a real issue, but having classes that don't make term after term is being read as 'too many faculty, not enough students.' This is a problem we - the department - created over the past few years. So next year, we'll be back to our 2 3/4 staff. The spiral into oblivion will continue. Not. My. Problem. Not anymore.

It's not easy, knowing that the program I've been in for 15 years won't long survive my retirement. If that long. It's hard watching something you've cared about die. A slow and preventable death.

Not. My. Problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment