Monday, September 8, 2014

Not The Way to Start a Day

Woke early, feeling great. Really great! Stared at the ceiling, thinking of all the things I wanted to do. Make a run to the big box home center, and mount another light in the garage. Pay bills. Make calls. Write a letter. Read a book for class. Give the dog a bath. Got up, bounced happily into the kitchen for coffee, let the dogs out, went down the steps to get something... and my knee gave out.

Screaming pain. Won't hold my weight. Body goes into immediate pain-avoidance mode, refusing to let knee even work. Crap. Major pain.

Hobble back into the house, call the doctor.  Two minutes before office opens, so I leave a message. No call back within the first 15 minutes, so I call again, get to leave yet another message. Hobble around, testing knee. More pain. No swelling, just pain.

Still no call back more than an hour later, so I call again. Try the triage nurse; she's out for the day. Try the doctor; leave a message. Try the operator, who shuffles me around. "Earliest opening is tomorrow."
"Seriously? I'm in a lot of pain, and I can't use it."
"Let me see... no, tomorrow."
"Is anybody else available - today?"
"No, but hold a minute..."
Wait. Wait. "Well, Dr. B says they'll try to see you, but you have to get here right away."
"On my way." Get dressed, hobble to their office. Good thing I've kept the walker from the foot. An hour later, I hobble out. Didn't break it, seem to have screwed up a ligament.

Thankfully, I also have pain meds. Of course, those kept that entire list from getting done. Goooood pain meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment