Friday, August 8, 2014

Wrestling through Denial

Went to the lawyer. L did all the talking, and kept me on task. Lawyer is going to draft a firewall letter that will, ideally, make the PTB go away and leave me alone. I'm not going to be acting chair or any kind of chair, serve on committees except as necessary, do any advising (my colleagues have never advised students) or mentoring - I'll just go in, do my teaching and office hours, go to the required events and meetings, and do nothing else. I'm going to try and become the new passive presence in the department, concentrating on teaching and my own research.

Which means that I need to work on my application for sabbatical next fall. I can quite happily go back into my archives and research. I can try to get some writing done that isn't assessment reports, program reviews, curriculum revisions etc..

That's a big challenge for me; letting go of things I've worried about for years. But it's the right thing for me. I need to take care of myself and quit putting myself out there for people to kick.

But ... it's hard. Any suggestions?


No comments:

Post a Comment