Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Early November

Well, this is just annoying. First, my blog - this one - seems to still be closed. Despite me opening it up over a month ago. Second, the password completely escaped me, so then I had to go through that rigamarole to get to something google would accept. Yeah, yeah, thank you for the security measures, but all these passwords... even my magic password keeper can't keep track of all of them! These, my friends, are the rantings of the extremely privileged, and I am all too aware of that.

I AM privileged. I live in a gorgeous place, in a lovely home, enjoy good health and a comfortable standard of living. I spend my hours the way I want to, be that in reading, watching tv (actually, very little of that), crafting, walking the dogs, exploring the area.

Exploring the area: oh yeah. Not nearly as much as I should, but since all my shoulds are on permanent hold, I explore as the whim takes me. For many years, 'as my Whimsey takes me' was my motto, borrowed from Peter Whimsey's family. Now it has real meaning - because of my privilege.

From a recent jaunt:


All these from the Miller Peninsula, about 3 miles from my house.

I went on the main road, which turned into dirt road, which meandered into a wide rutted path back into the woods. The further from the pavement I got, the less elaborate the houses. To the point of a wannabe yurt - no more than a couple of layers of canvas draped around a structure vaguely resembling a circle, all on a notably nice, new and sturdy platform. More than one ramshackle trailer house (from the looks of them, they've been there since they were new back in the 1960s). No people that I saw, just a lone dog patrolling the area. Well fed pup, so not abandoned, just keeping an eye on the neighborhood. Back on the main road, lots sell from $79K and homes are upwards of $500K. All lots remarkably vertical; waterfront, surrounded by trees - but yikes. I wouldn't want one of these places - nor to have to navigate one of those driveways... ever. And because of the terrain around here, the weather on that side of the bay is much wetter than over at my place. Very happy right where I am. But the exploring is fun.

Spent about an hour on the beach in the rain the other day - lovely. I stayed in my dry warm car, but watching the wind and the rain over the Straits was lovely too. So is curling up with the dogs/cat and reading. Ahhhhhh.


No comments:

Post a Comment