Saturday, June 7, 2014

Getting Close

To my African adventures! Scary, exciting, weird. It's been a full week.

  1. I have an appointment on Monday with the provost and the dean (no HR!) to hear the results of The Investigation. Lots of speculation, no facts.
  2. My fears that MsM would file a personal lawsuit have been quieted. Talked to a friend who is also a judge - and she said that any lawyer that would take such a suit on contingency would be stupid. That the costs of such a suit would be prohibitive unless MsM has buckets of money. Since she doesn't... I'm feeling less threatened about that. Sleeping better.
  3. I had an epiphany on the Africa thing. I remembered that I've lived in rough conditions for that long (granted nearly 40 years ago) but did it without much problem. Even the knowledge that I'm 40 years older than I was then doesn't really matter. The conditions will also be different, much less rough. And I have stuff I didn't have then: DEET, mosquito netting, appropriate clothing. So I can do this. If I think of it as camping, anything beyond an army cot is luxury (and actually, I never found those cots all that uncomfortable). I can do this.
  4. I got another lovely hug from my vet. He's this Big Guy who actually inspired my Galapagos trip - and he's totally jealous that I'm going. Took F in for his annual shots, and BG wished me a great trip, told me to bring back lots of pictures and enfolded me in a lovely, fantasy-enducing hug.

Am I ready? O hell no. I haven't packed. I have - more or less - gathered all I need for the trip. I have a few things I need to get: my anti-malarial meds, my antibiotics, my insoles. Flight is Wednesday - arrive Entebbe Thursday night. Scary, exciting, weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment